Dreamed up by Sara. Powered by Blogger.

"Indonesia's Transsexual Muslims"

Saturday, October 19, 2013

As someone who admittedly didn't do all that much to further education about all of Indonesia while in-country, today while browsing documentaries I saw this one pop up on the sidebar and had to see what it was all about. 

I know banci (the kinda dirty word for men who dress as women) from the jokes and jibes of my friends in class, and the fact that according to Avery's host dad there's a forest where all of the banci in Surabaya like to hang out. The Banci Forest, if you will. So there's that.

This 20-minute documentary is fascinating. In it we meet Mariyani, a man turned woman who once sold her own body for a price lower than that of a bowl of bakso - about RP 4500, less than a dollar. She runs a religious school for Muslims like her, who might not be accepted elsewhere, in the otherwise rather conservative city of Yogyakarta, Central Java. 

Don't mind the preview image and give it a look! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

About me

My photo
I'm Sara, the freckled bule, one out of eight of the coolest people in the world. I spent a year in Indonesia as a KL/YES Abroad student but now I live in Boise, Idaho. Welcome to my bloggity blog.

Followers

Free counters!